Digital marketing in 2017: stay ahead of the curve22 March 2017
The advertising landscape is continuously changing as it traverses different trends, tools and approaches – with digital firmly at the helm. More and more of our clients are shying away from traditional advertising media in a move towards online and the variety of channels this area offers.
In a competitive arena, digital marketing allows our clients to reach their customers in a targeted, scalable and measurable way, offering plentiful opportunity for those who are ready and willing to seize it.
We’ve highlighted the top digital trends for 2017 for you to consider in your digital marketing strategy.
1. Multiple media
Real talk: Single channel ROI doesn’t exist. A single channel approach is never going to be the optimum way to achieve increased ROI. Enhanced and more effective results are almost always going to be achieved through a blend of channels, and hey, if you want to throw an event or a billboard in the mix, then lets test that out too. But focusing on just one channel in order to achieve the success you want, won’t get you far.
2. King and Queen still reign
The old adage Content is King and distribution is Queen stands truer today than it ever has. Rather than addressing the content and the communication plan separately, the key to a successful digital marketing campaign is to ensure a strong, effective and well-considered partnership. Ultimately if your content is strong enough, and you use the channels relevant to your audience, you will be able to attract new traffic, build your reputation and encourage trust and faith in your brand.
3. A disruptive & interruptive visual content strategy has never been more important
- 74% of consumers say there is a connection between watching a video on social media and their purchasing behaviour. Content therefore needs to be visual, disruptive and interruptive.
- Video audio however is slowly becoming obsolete, especially on social channels, as users are happy to consume content purely on a visual basis – how many of you actually tap the button to play sound on your Facebook feed?!
- Live video in particular is having its moment, with users spending three times longer on average watching a live stream than a pre-recorded video.
- With Gen Z’s attention span lasting a tiny seven seconds, it’s more important than ever to attract users with stimulating content. While video is benefitting from this, it has been to the detriment of blogs; seeking more time than people are able to give, they are now on the decline.
4. Email marketing
Increased use of hyper-personalisation, insights from data and interactivity means email marketing is more powerful than it’s ever been.
An explosion of new digital technologies has pushed us to evolve, but those same technologies can leave our head spinning. What’s the right marketing mix? How much should you invest in new channels? Which channel is most effective for acquiring new customers and driving revenue for your business? Even with this explosion of choice and decision-making, marketers keep coming back to email. The reason is clear – if done right it can be the driving force behind 25% of your revenue.
2016 was an important year for digital marketing, with the dawn of live video content and YouTube ads earning better ROI than TV. Moving into 2017, full of developments that continue to gain traction, the digital space is poised to help you maximise the effectiveness of your marketing strategy.
The question is, how will you use these digital trends to create disruptive and effective marketing campaigns?